top of page

Quick Guide - Permitted Development Rights

For the most part, the role of a town planner relates to different types of ‘development’, which is defined in planning law. However, some development can be done without needing to apply for planning permission! This is known as ‘permitted development’.

Most permitted development rights are subject to various conditions and limitations. Additionally, some developments require ‘prior approval’ from your local Council to ensure the development is acceptable. This can include ensuring the development does not negatively impact transport/highways.

The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order (England) 2015 introduced permitted development and prior approval rights in law and provides an array of rights from changes of use to householder extensions.

In some designated areas, these rights are particularly restricted. This includes:

  • Conservation Areas

  • Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty

  • National Parks

  • World Heritage Sites

If you are a homeowner interested in permitted development rights at your property, the Government has published a ‘Permitted development rights for householders’ Technical Guidance. This provides some useful guidance for homeowners and can be found here.

If you are considering a development and would like to understand what permitted development rights could apply, Viable Placemaking may provide professional planning advice from a chartered town planner to assist with your considered development.

If you would like to learn more about how Viable Placemaking could assist with your scheme, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.


bottom of page